10 Energy Saving Tips to Lower Your Energy Bill
The U.S. Department of Energy estimates that summer air-conditioning accounts for more than 16% of annual energy spending in the average home. The low-cost tips that follow will help you keep your home comfortable while lowering your summer energy bills:
- Have your air-conditioner checked by a qualified professional. Servicing typically includes a check on refrigerant levels, the compressor, hoses, ductwork, and the thermostat.
- Set your thermostat at 78°F when you are at home and turn it up to 85°F when you are away. A programmable thermostat is an excellent way to save energy and maintain year-around comfort.
- Make sure your thermostat is not located near lamps or electronic appliances. It can sense heat from these devices, causing your air-conditioner to run longer.
- Replace air conditioner filters at least once per month; dirty filters restrict airflow, causing your system to run longer.
- Weather-strip, seal, and caulk leaks around doors and windows, and install foam gaskets behind outlet covers.
- On warm, sunny days, keep window coverings closed to prevent solar heat gain.
- Use ceiling or room fans in occupied areas to keep air moving and help to reduce the temperature.
- Install window tinting to prevent the sun’s rays from reflecting through the windows.
- Install a whole house fan. These devices circulate cool air throughout your house and exhaust hot air out of the attic.
- If your air conditioning unit is more than 15 years old, consider replacing it with a newer, more efficient model. Purchase a unit that is ENERGY STAR rated for high efficiency performance.
Looking For More Ways to Save All Year?
- Make sure that your home is properly insulated. This will reduce energy costs and keep you comfortable in summer and winter.
- Plant deciduous trees around the south and west corners of your home; in summer they will provide shade, which will help to reduce cooling costs. In winter, when they lose their leaves, the sunlight will help to heat your home.
Vailes Heating & Air is proud to offer services to Waynesboro, Staunton, Augusta County, and near by communities. Call us at 540-942-0198 or request service online today!